Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sew Thinky Thursdays - and Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day to all! 

My Valentine and I are just going down the road a bit tonight to a local restaurant to try one of the Kobe Burgers they are featuring on their winter menu - before they are off the menu!  And maybe a Cosmo (or two) - hey, it's a pink drink, it goes with the theme.  o:)

Today is also the third installment of Emily's Sew Thinky Thursday and this week's question is:

Describe your quilting style. Who or what influences you? How do you see your style changing over time?
 
Well, I'd have to stay my style is evolving.  When I started  - at that's going on 20 years ago - I was pretty traditional...


 Country Pumpkins with some homespun geese
The Bridges of Madison County
 
Don't think I ever used a solid - everything had to be a print - even backgrounds. 
 
Then, the "modern" quilting movement came along and I found the Philly Modern Quilt Guild and I started getting exposed to all sorts of news things.  That really re-energized my quilting and brought a new excitement for quilting.  
 Julie Herman's Carnival Pattern in Kate Spain's Central Park
Pez!
 
Now, I'm loving negative space...simpler designs (but not always)....modern fabrics, showcasing them with larger pieces....and even solids!
Besides my guild buddies (who are a huge influence), I think the Blog-o-sphere is a big influence.  I am finding things to love all of the time (and things I can't resist!).  I can be immersed in the craft I love so much and reading my quilty blogs is a highlight every day!
And, I'm loving that "modern quilting" seems to be finding its way back to more traditional designs such as English Paper Piecing (that Hexie craze!)...
 ..and Dresden Plates
I'm loving the fresh perspective our new modern fabrics brings to these designs.
 My Frames quilt featuring Denyse Schmidt's new Flea Market Fancy
Triangle Quilt (or 1000 Pyramids) featuring Echo by Lotta Jansdotter
 
I'm not giving my old stash of darker fabrics, civil war repros, etc. away just yet - you never know when what's old will become new again!
 
You can check out more answers to the question here.

9 comments:

Mary R. said...

You are so right about the fresh perspective modern fabrics bring to traditional designs! "My Frames" is just beautiful!

Shruti said...

Wonderful to see your quilting evolve with you! :)

Karen said...

What a great way to see your quilt story. Some lovely work there!

Kate Spain said...

Denise,

Such a lovely walk through your talented explorations!
Thanks for sharing.
Great stuff!

kate

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Great stuff! Did you finish that Pezzy one? I don't think I saw it?

Jennie said...

I love your quilts and totally agree about the online community being a wonderful influence!

Ivory Spring said...

Great post, Denise! And your Dresden is one of the prettiest I have seen.

ChristaQuilts said...

Wow you sound very similar to me! Starting off traditional about 20 years ago, then finally finding a niche with modern quilting :-)

Tiffany said...

I love your style right now! That Central Park quilt is one of my favorites.