Saturday, November 17, 2012

And a good time was had by all....

I meant to post this Monday after I returned from my guild retreat...now it's Saturday.  Well, this week sure flew by!

To say I had a fantastic time at the retreat would be an understatement.  It sure seemed like everyone enjoyed themselves thoroughly and LOTS of quilting got done!

The hotel was so comfortable.  Our rooms were clean and spacious, our sewing space was great, a hot breakfast was included every morning, we had a place to go and eat our lunch and dinner away from the sewing machines and the hotel staff couldn't have been more accommodating.  Sure hope we go here again next year!

Before the fun started though, I realized shortly after we arrived I forgot the cord to my sewing machine
 - DO-OH!  I so upset with myself!  I was so worried about packing the foot pedal, I left the cord on the floor of my sewing room.  Of course, my friends immediately came to my aid...the fallback plan was to have hubby take my cord to a Bobbi's house who was going home for the night and lived close and she'd bring it back the next day.  Meanwhile, Anna was going to lend me her cord for the day since she was cutting.  Yeah, my guild friends are awesome.  Someone else suggested I call the Quilter's Corner - located about a mile from the hotel - to see if they sold cords.  They don't but they were more than happy to lend me one for the weekend!  So, Cathy (I felt terrible dragging her out again after we had just gotten there, but she drove - I felt terrible again when I knocked her breakfast all over her the next morning - but I think she still likes me anyway o:) ) and I went on over to the quilt shop to pick up the cord - and it fit!  So - shout out to the Quilter's Corner - they rock!

Some shots of the weekend...


How much stuff do two gals need for a quilt retreat weekend?  This much....

This is a good shot of the whole room - we were very comfortable - plenty of room for everyone!  I felt sorry for the clean-up crew - they may not have known what they were getting into with a bunch of quilters - you could barely see the carpet for the threads by the time we left!
Thanks for the photos, Cathy

The first top finished - Bobbi's jelly roll race charity quilt - I love the black and white squares she put in!
Cathy working away...
Anna worked on about 100 projects this weekend - well, maybe not that many, but it was a lot!  I love everything she makes!
Andrew and Jessica choosing fabric....

Bobbi went home at night to take care of her pooch...but she left this behind...she was lucky it was all still there the next day - LOL!
 One of Anna's many projects...

 My table - working on the Helix quilt...

I was happy with my accomplishments.  I finished piecing the "winter" quilt by Saturday morning and had my 3 green "panels" made for the Helix quilt made by the time we left Sunday afternoon.


We had a couple of crashers on Saturday night....
These gentlemen from New York were looking for the bar...they wandered into our room...it was a hoot!  They wanted to hear all about who we were and why we were there.  They sat down and "pretended" to be sewing...they knew their wives would eventually find them - and they did - we all had a good laugh!

And, yes, a good time was had by all (particularly Saturday night - LOL!)

10 comments:

Karen said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time.Great to see what everyone was working on. So pleased it worked out with your cord, too.

Lynn said...

Looks like a fun group! So glad you were able to borrow a cord! That is my worst fear about retreats - forgetting something vital.

FarahLin said...

That is the best reason I can think of if one belongs to an actual quilt guild...a fun weekend with other like-minded quilters. We don't have such guilds over here just my 3 close friends where we meet two weeks once for some sewing time together.
Love the soft colours you've used for the winter quilt and those green panels are looking fabulous! Can't wait to see the finished quilts!

charlotte said...

What fun!!! Loved all the pictures.

Anna said...

It was so (or should I say sew...) much fun! I had a great time -- really looking forward to seeing your helix quilt shape up!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

looks like a great time! especially that bottle of wine Andrew had. :) Everyone was working on some really great projects. Looking forward to seeing your helix come together.

Ivory Spring said...

Fun was right, Denise!!!! I am glad you were able to go to the retreat. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Michele said...

What a great time! How nice that you could borrow a cord. Quilters are so helpful :-)

Diane said...

love the pictures-what a great time and sewing too!!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

What a great report, Denise! It looks as though it was tremendous fun. I hope I'm able to participate next time .....