Friday, December 16, 2011

Countdown to Christmas!

No, I have not fallen off the face of the blogosphere!  I've had posts in my head for weeks, I just couldn't get the photos uploaded and the posts written!  Besides trying to get everything done for Christmas, which is barreling towards me like a freight train, to say work has been crazy is an understatement!

But, I can take a breath right now.  It's my husband's birthday today (Happy Birthday, Ken!), and he wanted to go to the beach for the weekend.  It just so happens that my very nice boss has a very nice beach house that he never uses - but we do o:).  All the fun, none of the hassle!  So, I left him to hold down the fort at work at took today off to come to the shore for a long weekend.  (Yes, I feel a little guilty, but I'm sure I'll get over it - I've been working early, through lunch and late for a while).  So, here we are:

Lilly is having a ball...



Funny, I couldn't get her to sit still and pose for me on the beach!  Dogs, they're funny like that.

I haven't been in my sewing room in over a week (which tends to make me cranky), and I had hoped to get my Countdown to Christmas quilt quilted before the big day.  Not happening, but here is its progress to date.

As soon as I saw this line, I bought a layer cake, knowing I wanted to use my Big Twister Ruler to make a Twister quilt.

Here are all the squares sewn together...

And here is the end result.  If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have added the additional red border and I would have made the white border wider.  But, all in all, I am very smitten with this quilt!


Oh, and we had some very exciting news in our family earlier this month.  My brother asked his girlfriend to marry him!  Now, my brother is 48 years old and has never been married (I hope he doesn't read my blog - I'm sure he'd be thrilled that I announced these facts), so this is a Really. Big. Deal.  We are all over the moon, especially the bride-to-be.  Whom we all adore.  I think I'm as excited as they are.  They announced it at my step-dad's 75th birthday dinner.  What a celebration we had that night!  Here are the happy couple.

I smell wedding quilt!!

So, next up I'll have some photos of some other Christmas sewing I finished before the big work crunch!  Stay tuned!

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Hope you have a great weekend! I'm also cranky from not getting to sew for so long. I turned in my final grades today for all my classes so hopefully I be able to log some hours with my machines and fabric soon.

Becky M said...

That looks like a fun getaway! Yay- Lilly. I'm coming back in my next life as lilly! :)
Your christmas quilt looks great. Hope you are bringing it Tuesday!

Diane said...

a beach getaway-I'm so jealous! The twister quilt is lovely and I thought I smelled a Wedding quilt too!

Kate said...

Looks like the beach was the place to be. Glad you got to take a breather.

Congrats to your brother.

Linda said...

LOVE your Countdown to Christmas Twister quilt!!! I love that fabric. Still thinking of buying some. Yours really makes me want to!!