Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Everyone!  I can't believe it's Christmas Eve already.  I'm as ready as I'm going to be.  Most of the food is pre-cooked for tomorrow, we had some of the family over for Christmas Eve Chinese earlier tonight, we drove around the neighborhood looking at the lights and luminarias, and the present are wrapped, well mostly...

My grandmother was a crocheter.  She made us all afghans, baby outfits, hats, gloves, etc. etc.  She also made ornamental items (we all got bathroom skunks  - to hold toilet paper - really, I'm not kidding-LOL!).  One year she made a couple of sets of carolers.  One set she didn't quite finish.  The "faces" weren't done.  My gram passed away in 2006 and my mom has been asking for a set ever since. It required me actually finishing them.  I was determined she was going to get them this year.  I pulled them out of the attic, did my best at making "faces" (I quilt, I don't crochet  and I was kind of stumped as to how to do it).  Monday night I stitched little mouths and had them all set out and put their hats on.  All 4 figures.  They were sitting on my cutting table, all ready for their "eyes".  I went to the craft shop on Tuesday and got "eyes".  Got my glue gun out and began finishing them up.  I got to the last one and couldn't find the hat.  It was there Monday night, I swear!!  I've been looking for that hat all week.  It's now 10:15 on Christmas Eve.  I give up.  So, mom's getting the set like this...

This poor little girl is still hatlesss....

If the hat mysteriously turns up, mom will get her next year.  It's still baffling me and irritating me that I can't find it!  Gram, however, will be pleased that I finished them off.  I miss her more every year.  o)

My machine has certainly been neglected these past couple of weeks, so I thought I'd make her feel better by dressing her up...


It's going to be another week before I can spend quality time with her...we're leaving for Disney World day after Christmas.  I'm looking forward to seeing Santa Mickey and all the holiday decorations.  I'm not sure it's too much warmer in Florida than it is here though - LOLOL!

Merry, Merry Christmas to you all!!

I'm off now to finish my eggnog and dream of sugar plums and Santa!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Merry Christmas, Denise.
Have a wonderful Christmas.
Cheers, Karen.

Thelma said...

Merry Christmas Denise!
My machine is gathering dust these days too, that's OK, they will wait for us! Christmas comes once a year. Your holiday plans sound wonderful, have a wonderful time! I feel your pain on the missing hat, if it doesn't show up, maybe you could glue some pom poms on the sides of her head, for earmuffs! Your Mom will be thrilled to have the set regardless.

Have fun at Disney World, it IS the happiest place there is, will be eager to see photos!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh, the carolers look so sweet! How nice it was to dress up your machine for the Christmas spirit. :)

Happy New Year to you.

Thank you for being my bloggy quilting friend. :)

Sandi Colwell said...

Those are adorable! Love them! Have a blast in Disney.

Linda said...

I hope you had a wonderful and very Merry Christmas!