Monday, January 24, 2011

The Long Cold Road to Florida

Yes, we made it back from Florida and, no, I didn't fall off the face of the earth.  2011 seemed to hit me like a ton of bricks!  I'm just now feeling like I'm caught up at work and at home and realized I haven't blogged since before Christmas!  Yikes, time flies sometimes! 

When I last left you we were super-excited about our after-Christmas trip to Disney World.  We were supposed to leave on Monday, 12/27, on an early flight.  When we have early flights, we usually leave the day before and stay at an airport hotel.  Well, on that day, 12/26, this is what it looked like as we made our way to the Philadelphia airport....


So, while we're very carefully trying to drive in the snow making the 1-hour trek to our hotel, I get a text that our morning flight is cancelled!  So after a 1/2 hour wait on hold with the airline, I'm told they'd be happy to rebook our flight - for THURSDAY ?!?#$!!  So, what do we do?  Do we cancel?  Do we try to go to the airport anyway and standby?  Do we just drive to Florida?  We certainly weren't going to turn around on the treacherous roads and try to make it home as we were almost at the airport hotel, so we figured we'd just keep going and see what happened.   The view we woke up to...

Well, this certainly isn't Florida....

And, hey, neither is this!....
Yes, folks, we went to Florida by way of Baltimore, then North Carolina until finally - a day and a half late - we saw this....

Finally, Mickey and Minnie!  Luckily, we were able to get what I swear were the last two seats out of Baltimore to Orlando - on Tuesday at noon with a three hour layover in Charlotte (they have a great Sushi bar in the middle of the Charlotte airport by the way).  I was in EPCOT in Mexico at the Tequila Bar by 7:30pm that night!  Luckily, we also were able to extend our trip by one day to come on Jan 2 instead of New Year's Day and fly back into Baltimore instead of Philly.  Whew!  We wound up having a great time, and spending New Year's Eve in Disney World was a blast.  But, since we were told at 9:30am on NYE that the Magic Kingdom was C.L.O.S.E.D. already due to crowds, I'd definitely think twice about doing Disney World between Christmas and New Year's again!

4 comments:

Pat said...

AARRRGGGHHH!!!! That snow put a kink in a lot of vacations! Glad you ggot there and back safely, however. The Tequila Bar does wonders to erase a rocky start.

Linda said...

Snow is such a pain! I'm glad you guys were safe. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Tequila always helps! :-)

Karen said...

I was starting to wonder where you had disappeared to --- apart from Florida! Sounds like a good time was had by all even after the rough start with the weather. Isn't it hard to get back into a routine after having a break?

Ivory Spring said...

Now I know the whole story, Denise! :) I love that short of Mickey and Minnie.