Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Very Productive Weekend!

It's Sunday night and I've had a very productive weekend!  I love weekends like this - when I don't have to stick my nose out the door (well, except to take Lilly out), and can quilt to my heart's content.  I got a lot done, granted some were little things...finishing up my mug rug for the swap at the Philly Modern Quilt Guild meeting on Tuesday night (which I'll show - and tell the story, because there's usually always a story - LOL!) after the meeting.  Finished up the four placements with the fabric bought with my Mom during last Friday's shop hop (which I'll also blog about later), finished the borders on all of my Birdies Stitches BOM blocks and caught up by finishing block two...here's my progress so far...
 Block two...
 Block one...
When I first started this quilt, I thought I'd use my great find from a couple of years ago.  I hate tracing the embroidery motifs onto the fabric and when I saw this Transfer-Eze at a quilt show, I thought my biggest embroidery problem was solved.  And it pretty much was.  I used it for the remaining Winter Wonderland (by Crabapple Hill) blocks and it worked great.  With the Transfer -Eze, all you do is put an 8-1/2 x 11" piece in your copy machine and copy your embroidery motif onto it.  Then you peel off the water soluble film with the embroidery motif and stick it to your fabric, stitch and immerse it in water when done and it just dissolves. Easy peasy and works great!!  I used it for the first Birdie Stitches block and found the lines were a bit too thick and I could still see some dark marks after I was done.  I guess it didn't dissolve enough under the thread or something.  So, I decided to do the second block the old fashioned way and traced it.  The blocks are small so I think I'll continue this way, but will still continue to use Transfer-Eze for other projects where the lines are smaller - it really does work!  I'm using a DMC cotton perle floss #5.  It's a little thick for these small blocks. If I was starting over I'd just use the regular DMC embroidery floss, but since I've already purchased all of the floss I need, I'll just work with it. It is looking cute!

 

And, I finished the quilting and made and put on the binding on the now very overdue (because the baby was NOT overdue!) Night Night Will quilt...
 I quilted loops in the inner border...
 Cross Hatching in the borders...
 And stippled around the appliques...
 I love the way this came out.  It's going to be hard to part with - I'm so glad I bought enough fabric to make another one.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the birdies! They are so cute and you are doing a great job with the embroidery.

Darlene said...

Try changing the settings on your printer to so the copy is lighter on your Transfer-Eze. I use it all the time and love it.

You've had a very productive week - woohoo!!!

Thelma said...

Night Night Will turned out wonderfully, I love it, almost makes me wish a baby was due in our family...almost!

Karen said...

You have been productive. Love the Birdie stitches. You are so organised getting all the blocks ready. The Night Night quilt looks so good!
Beautiful quilting.

Ivory Spring said...

Denise,

You have been busy!!! The birdies are just the sweetest.

Angie @ CraftedAngles said...

I loved seeing this quilt on Tuesday. Very pretty! Great job :)

Angie - craftedAngles.com

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your Lily and Will quilt is the cutest!!