Monday, February 21, 2011

Second Time's a Charm!

We had our mug rug swap at the Philly Modern Quilt Guild meeting last Tuesday.  As soon as I heard we were doing a mug rug swap and as a challenge we were to incorporate something we hadn't tried  before.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  I'd been want to try out my EZ Dresden ruler and I thought a little dresden plate on the mug rug would be cute.  I'm not very good at spatial relations...even a very small dresden wasn't going to fit on the mug rug.  I got 5 wedges cut and pieced before I realized THAT'S not going to work - LOL!  But, I enjoyed the process so I know I'll have fun using the ruler for a real project.
 So, what to do?  I'd also been wanting to try English paper piecing and I had some small template papers.  This worked!  And it was fun - I can see how these hexies can be addicting.


Just the one hexagon flower looked a little lonely on the rug, so I added some strips on the right.  I cheated and instead of hand appliqueing these down, I used monofilament and a blind hem stitch.  I think it turned out cute.  I hope the winner liked it.
You can see all the mug rugs made by the guild members here.  I won this lovely below...very elegant.  Thanks Susan!

Our next swap is a pillow.  I've already got some ideas brewing.

1 comment:

Ivory Spring said...

Denise,

That Dresden plate is going to be gorgeous with those fabrics.