Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Catching up!

Hi.  I'm back.  Didn't mean to take an almost two month hiatus but, as they say, life got in the way.  BUT, I haven't been too idle so I've got a few things to show for myself.

First up is a quilt I made to donate to a Wounded Warriors charity event my son & DIL are hosting this weekend.  I chose to go modern and I made Elizabeth Hartman's Marmalade quilt ....

I went ultra-modern with the quilting....very graphic in the background...
 and wiggles in the diamonds.
I chose this backing that incorporated the teal and greens from the diamonds...
Elizabeth's pattern made this quilt really easy to put together and it looks great!  I know I'll be making at least a couple more - I want one of my own and so does my DIL!!  I hope it's a hit at the event and brings in lots of money for the charity!

Earlier this month, I celebrated Mother's Day by taking my mom and my aunt to the Quilter's Tea at the Cafe Gallery hosted by Old City Quilts.  We also invited my new sis-in-law Cathy and her mom.  This is the second time they've done the tea and my mom and I went last year.  We hope they continue as we'd like to make it a tradition!
(Me, Aunt Janice, my Mom, Cathy's Mom, Cathy)
The gifts were lovely...a lovely china tea cup and saucer filled with candies and cookies, mug rugs and a flowery FQ with a nice discount coupon for the quilt shop!
 Of course I had to drag my mom and aunt (both non-quilters) to the quilt shop after the tea so I could use that coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket.  It was hysterical to see my (as I said, non-quilter) aunt "help" some of the customers at the cutting table choose fabric.  But, that's her!  I think they both really enjoyed themselves.  And, I picked up some FQs...neutrals (to make this) and a red FQ to add to a version of this project that I decided I needed to make.  (There I go with my copycatting ways again!)

I'll be back with more soon!

9 comments:

Gretchen said...

Love the quilt, love the goodies, love the fact that you're back.
And I just thought I'd share that I also had an Aunt Janice. Now I have a daughter Janice, who goes by name Janni.

Diane said...

what fun you've been having
I LOVE the marmalade quilt!!!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

LOVE the marmalade quilt! Are they going to raffle it there? You'll have to keep us posted on how much it raises. It's so gorgeous, i don't know if I could part with that one!

Lynn said...

I've always liked that Marmalade pattern. Yours is wonderful!

Kate said...

Your Marmalade Quilt turned out beautifully!

Karen said...

You have had a busy time. The WW quilt is looking great. Good luck with the charity event.
That looks like a lovely way to celebrate Mother's Day together.
And I like the look of both the quilts you are planning with the fabrics you purchased.
Good luck!

ChristaQuilts said...

I love the color choices for your Marmalade quilt and the quilting is fantastic!

Michele said...

Glad you are back :-) The quilt is wonderful! I'm sure it will help such a worthy cause.

Jenny Watson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.